Thursday, October 8, 2009

My First Blog Ever

I am officially "blogging". Today is a day of firsts, I even learned how to comment on a blog today... very proud of myself.

The reason I haven't blogged about our journey with Grace is simple - I don't want to cry everyday. And usually when I start to dig real deep into the feelings of this situation crying is the end result. When I am happy or sad, it manifests itself with tears. So today is just an introduction.

I am Kimberly Shedd (28), married to Bobby Shedd (31)since 7/19/2008. We have a son, Riley (6), who is super smart and a very good looking boy! I am pregnant with Grace, my first baby and our first baby together; she is due on 11/20/09. We have a 1 yr old boxer, Max, and he is a really great dog.

June 8th we went in for an Ultrasound to learn if we were having a boy or a girl. We learned it was a girl and also that she had many problems which led the Doctor to believe she had Trisomy 13 or 18. An Amniocentesis done on 6/30 confirmed she had full Trisomy 13.

The Doctor's have told us we wouldn't make it this far and here we are 7 1/2 months along. Grace has had some ups and downs. In fact, the week before Labor Day the Doctor basically said "I will see you in a few days" anticipating a miscarriage due to the umbilical cord flow to Grace stopping on the Ultrasound during offbeats. We didn't see the Doctor in the few days before Labor Day. When we did go back, for our routine visit, the "food flow" or umbilical cord flow to Grace had actually improved. That was our last Ultrasound. The next Ultrasound is scheduled for 10/26 and if all goes well we will start the inducing process 11/2...which means she share my birthday, 11/4. That would be such an honor and special bond to share with her!!

We appreciate the thoughts and prayers of everyone out there. This isn't easy, or necessarily hard, it is quite simply our blessing from God.

8 comments:

  1. Love it Kim! I think this is great for you, and to spread the word about trisomy 13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I admire your strength. There are not days that go by that I am not thinking and praying for you and your baby. I have read all of the websites and information that you have passed on to try to understand your situation. The result is that you are full of faith and this is where your incredible strength comes from. I can’t wait till the day you hold that little blessing in your arms and get to see what your faith and strength has rewarded you with. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly,

    My name is Julie Wilcox and I am the mother of Katie Wilcox White, one of your comrades on the LWT13 website. I have been following Lauren's blog since Katie told me about it a few weeks ago. We are expecting our little guy, Henry, sometime before Jan 28, his due date. Henry also has Full Trisomy 13. If he makes it to 28 wks, Katie will have another ultrasound to determine if he has any heart, kidney, or other defects. Like all of you, we, too would love it if Henry makes it to a point that, when born, he is alive so that we can hold him and love him for just a little while. My heart goes out to all of you brave parents. You are such a testimony! I never knew of T13 before they suspected it Katie's 17 wk ultrasound to determine Henry's gender-such a common story! Anyway, I have been blessed by the blogs that I have read, and am glad to see that you are using this medium to tell Grace's story. I will add you to my prayer list!

    Sincerely,
    Julie Wilcox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly, I am so proud of you for opening your heart in this blog. I know it will not be easy, just as it will not be easy for me to read, but putting our thoughts on paper is not only a testimony of our faith for all to see, but may just be what someone else needs to hear, when they read your words. You know how much we love you, and are standing with you, Bobby, and Riley during this time. God is so very close to us these days, and He is just as close to Grace. As I've told you before, LAMININ, is in every cell of her being, which just means that Jesus is with her in every cell.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi kim,
    my name is Vianca, mommy to Elijah Thomas Wilson (www.livingwithtrisomy.org/memoriesofElijah.htm). if you would like to talk to someone in the area i am here for you. you can contact me at viancawilson@yahoo.com or on our number that is listed on the LWT13 site.
    with lots of Hope and Love,
    Vianca
    p.s.
    i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimberly- I hope it's o.k.- I posted your site on my blog- hoping to send more prayer your way and raise more awareness of Trisomy 13.
    Christelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kimberly,
    I'm honored to "follow" you and pray for you and Bobby and Riley and Grace.
    I can't imagine the range of emotion you must be feeling but I do know that we serve an amazing God that is going to use your testimony for his glory :)
    God bless the broken road!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you and am so proud of you. You are my friend, and like a sister to me. I hope blogging can bring great support and prayers for you and Grace. She is so blessed to have you as a mom. I will probably link to your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete